Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Foam Roller Research

Thanks to Smitty at Diesel Crew for running my article on foam rollers. Be sure to go to the Diesel Crew site and check it out as they do some great stuff there and tons of back articles too.

http://www.dieselcrew.com/articles.htm and
http://www.dieselcrew.com/

So I will probably known for a long time as the guy who dislikes foam rollers. The main points of the foam roller post was

1) don't move in pain as pain shuts down the nervous system
2) it is probably not addressing the SOURCE of your issues

Can I point to tons of peer reviewed articles about foam roller? Nope. Up until now I have not found one (although I have heard of some new studies going on that are not completed yet). Here it is

I will fully admit that it is not a super cool, randomized, placebo controlled, double blind, country wide, tons of people enrolled study; but it is a pilot study (smaller, easier to run). A pilot/smaller study is going to be a great place to start, since there are virtually no existing literature on the topic.

The summary of the study was that it did not show any change in range of motion (ROM) after a foam roller intervention. Not earth shattering, but I thought I would pass along the information.

I would be interested to see if the subjects were doing the foam roller work in pain/discomfort. Pain has "bad effects" on the nervous system (anyone getting tired of hearing that yet?)

New Blog Added!
New blog added, so check out Sara's article below. Great information that everyone should read and pass on.

Pain is individual and Dependent