Friday, October 3, 2008

Performance Research for August: Central Fatigue and testimonial


Testimonial time again.

I got to meet Franklin in person at his first RKC and then again at the RKC-FMS. Franklin also follows the Precision Nutrition lifestyle where I volunteer as a Community Moderator
Be sure to check out Franklin's blog HERE It is always a treat for me to interact and learn with great people such as him. Not sure how much credit I can take since I didn't lift any darn weights for him. Excellent work Franklin!

Mike,

First of all I need to first thank you kind words concerning my TSC results and secondly even more important for all the Z-Health advice you gave me over the few months. Without it, I would not have been able to perform at the level I did or even perform at all! As for my DL result, the 300 was a goal I set five months ago when 225 was my 1RM. I came pretty close and learned so much about this humbling lift that I can't wait to get started training it again!

Franklin, RKC

August Performance Research Update: Central Fatigue

Recovery from Supraspinal Fatigue is Slowed in Old Adults after Fatiguing Maximal Isometric Contractions.


Hunter SK, Todd G, Butler JE, Gandevia SC, Taylor JL. Exercise Science Program, Department of Physical Therapy, Marquette University, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States.

This study compared the contribution of supraspinal fatigue to muscle fatigue in old and young adults. Transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) of motor cortex was used to assess voluntary activation during maximal voluntary contractions (MVCs) of elbow flexor muscles in 17 young adults (25.5 +/- 3.6 yr; mean+/-SD) and 7 old adults (73.0 +/- 3.3 yr).

Subjects performed a fatigue task involving 6 sustained MVCs (22-s duration, separated by 10 s). Young adults exhibited greater reductions in maximal voluntary torque (67 +/- 15% of baseline) than the old (37 +/- 6%, P<0.001). p="0.02)." style="font-weight: bold;">

Conclusion: Recovery from the fatiguing exercise is impaired for old adults because of greater supraspinal fatigue than in the young.

My Notes: Some data here to show that as you age, your ability to recovery during training may become impaired. It should be emphasized that this was for max isometric contractions (holding a weight); so we are not sure if it would apply to a more standard contraction (where the weight moves).