Friday, February 20, 2009

Kettlebell Snatch Test 4 Hour Work Week Style

Tim Ferris Does KBs!
As most of you know, I am a huge fan on the 4 Hour Work Week by Tim Ferris. The ironic part is that I don't even count how many hours I work in a week, but currently it is WAY too many.

The end goal however is to do only the things I am absolutely passionate about and have someone else do the rest. To me, that is the point of the 4 Hour Work Week--what you do to make money does not HAVE to be the same thing you do with your life. If you can blend both of them together into a true passion-more power to you!

Plus I never plan to retire anyway. Way too many things I want to get done first.

If you are looking for some free background, click on this link below from Zen Habits

Exclusive Interview: Leo Talks With Tim Ferriss of 4-Hour Workweek

The great part is that Tim lays it all out for you on how to reach your goal in an efficient manner.

For fitness, KBs (kettlebells) are a killer way to do the same--reach your goals in an efficient manner.

Enter the Kettlebell
Below is a video of Tim doing the RKC Snatch Test. You have 5 minutes and you can put the KB down and switch hands as many times as you like. The requirements are different, so for a full description, check out Taieki's blog post HERE.

For example, if you are a male, here are the requirements:

RKC Kettlebell Snatch Requirements Weight Class, kg/lbs.Snatches, total L+R
60 / 132 60
90 / 198 80
90+ / 198+ 100
Open Class 24kg Kettlebell

Masters (50 and Over 20kg Kettlebell)

In my case since I am over 198 lbs I would need 100 reps in 5 minutes. It is hard, but definitely achievable with some good instruction and effort. My PR (personal record) was last year's TSC at 120 reps with the 24kg KB.

Nice work Tim! Just a bit more hip drive towards the end around the 3:30 mark and he will be close to 100 reps.

If you are interested in it, you can sign up for the Tactical Strength Challenge by clicking HERE for more information.

The TSC consists of 3 events 1) a max RAW (no supportive gear) deadlift, 2) max pullups 3) KB snatch max reps in 5 minutes.

It is a brutal combination of max strength, relative strength and CRF (cardiorespiratory fitness).

Check out the report from last year. B-Rad has assured me that there are a few fun surprises at Kinetic Edge this year too.

Model Integrity and Tactical Strength Challenge (TSC)

I will be competing in the TSC this April 4, so come on out and enjoy the pain. I will also be assisting at the June RKC right here in Minnesota, so sign up and come say hi.

You can follow my training at the link below
http://miketnelsontraining.blogspot.com/


If you are interested in doing the RKC or competing in the TSC and need help with the preparation, drop me a line by clicking this link Email Me

If you are interesting in getting your own KBs, click HERE

Comments?